Do you want to mentor youth?
Do you want to give back?
Join our team!
The First Tee of Silicon Valley believes positive youth development happens through a meaningful, quality relationship between the coach and participant. Mentor coaches are critical to ensuring our participants have an optimum and enjoyable learning environment. Therefore, we are always looking for high quality volunteers to serve as mentor coaches.
- Assist in delivering our golf and life skill curriculum through golf games.
- Demonstrate positive behavior and The First Tee Nine Core Values.
- Help provide a safe, positive and nurturing experience for our participants.
- Commit 2.5 hours a day, once a week for a 9-week class season.
- Choose from several class options by season, location, day of week, and time.
- Help at least 2 of 4 seasons and at least 6 of 8 lessons each season.
- Attend a 3-hour golf and life skill mentor training prior to each season.
No golf experience necessary!
- Juniors 9th grade and above are able to teach our PLAYer level.
- Current Ace or Albatross participants may volunteer for PLAYer and Par classes.
- To be a paid Instructor one must start out as a volunteer mentor coach.
- Volunteers demonstrating mentoring abilities and exceptional adherence to our coaching philosophy are selected to become instructors.
- Level 1 Coach Training YouTube video.
OUR CLASSES, SEASONS, LOCATIONS:
- Grades- 2nd-12th grade
- Classes meet once per week for 1.5-hours over a 9-week season.
- In each class, students experience a life skill, healthy habit, and golf skill through golf games.
- Spring (Mar-May) – onboarding steps must be completed by January 15th
- Summer (Jun-Aug) – onboarding steps must be completed by May 15th
- Fall (Sep-Nov) – onboarding steps must be completed by August 15th
- Winter (Dec-Feb) – Currently new volunteers are not able to onboard for the Winter season
Location and Days
- Rancho del Pueblo — Tuesdays – Saturdays — 1649 Hermocilla Way, San Jose 95116
- Gavilan College — Fridays & Saturdays — 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy 95020
- Moffett Field — Tuesdays & Thursdays — 934 Macon Road, Mountain View 94035
- Baylands — Tuesdays & Wednesdays — 1875 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto 94303
- Getting Started Survey
- Telephone Interview
- Volunteer Application – Email to Julie Donnellan
- Child Protection Course
- In-person Interview
- Contingent Offer
- Background Check- After your interview we will send you information regarding the background check. Adult volunteers must successfully complete the LiveScan fingerprinting with the Department of Justice and FBI.
- Training- New volunteer coaches are required to attend a 3-hour Mentor Training prior to their first season.